Thursday, January 18, 2007

I've bottomed out

Is there a 12-step program for people addicted to celebrity gossip? I hit rock bottom last night watching the Hollywood Insider, when it hit me that I, an educated, fairly happening 34-year-old, just rushed in from her kitchen to catch Kathie Lee singing a duet with Barry Manilow.

I've gotta quit, but how?

I've made some headway recently. In my effort to live off the land when my period of self-induced unemployment begins, I haven't purchased a single delicious copy of In Touch. I'm also heavy into Netflix, feeling really smart as I've been stacking up indies in my queue. I've even remembered that I've got a stack of unread books, and am actually enjoying an FDR biography.

But of course I'm finding the best parts to be about FDR's lady friends, and the lesbian AP writer who was all about Eleanor. The stuff about FDR getting America ready to face down Hitler, well that's just what you have to get through to get to the good parts.

And now that we're on the subject, did you know that there was a shipload of Jewish refugees who escaped Europe but ended up having to return, because no country (America included) wouldn't accept them? What a bunch of fucking jerks, we were.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had TIVO, you wouldn't have to rush. You could just saunter back into the room and watch Manilow and Kathy Lee.

And I hope you don't live in a very tall building if you're watching that....

Anonymous said...

I try to stay above it, but the whole Trump/Rosie thing is endlessly fascinating to me. I can't stand that guy ...