Wednesday, February 28, 2007

So What's Going On?

Inspired by an episode of Frontline last night, I've decided to up the ante with my citizen journalist endeavors. This is the first installment in my "What's Going On?" series where I call people I know who have jobs and ask them, uh, "What's Going On?" Studs Terkel, you and your masterpiece, Working, can both EAT. MY. SHORTS.

My brother Chad, 33, is an Operations Manager at a place where they work on stuff. He's the boss of a bunch of guys who are considerably older than him. According to Chad, he's won over his charges.

I called Chad this morning about 9:15.

"So Chad, what's going on?"

"Nothing right now. I'm not doing a whole lot."

"Why not?"

"Cuz I hurt my finger."

"Yeah right. Nothing's going on? You've got to have something going on?"

"Well we got an engine pulled. And we pulled a trans out of a cat."

"And by cat, you mean. . . "

"Uh, a transmission out of a Caterpillar?"

"Oh. Cool. What else is going on?"

"Ted threw a fit because I leaned a load backrest against his toolbox."

"You're an ass."

"Yeah, I started crying like a baby to mock him and he stormed out. And then this guy we have here who acts like he's our pyschologist was all worried and I said, 'That motherfucker, I'm going to fire his ass.' Later I talked to Ted, and he was cool. They think I'm nuts."

No comments: